LEADERSHIP SAINT PAUL™
Leadership Saint Paul Class of 2012 at their Overnight Retreat
Leadership Saint Paul (LSP) is your Chamber’s flagship adult learning program centered on community leadership that prepares, challenges and engages emerging and existing leaders to strengthen the Saint Paul/East Metro region.
Since 1980, more than 1,400 graduates have been given the unique opportunity to CONNECT with other leaders
• Meet people with a shared commitment to community
• Build a diverse, long-term network
• Promote the organization they represent
CULTIVATE skills and knowledge
• Build their skills in leadership, communication and citizenship
• Gain knowledge about challenges and issues facing the Saint Paul/East metro area
• Explore the interrelationships of government, business and the broader community.
CONTRIBUTE to the vitality of the Saint Paul/East metro area
• Help people who live in the communities they care about
• Ensure the continued health and well being of the Saint Paul/East metro area
• Give back to Saint Paul/East metro area.
Leadership Saint Paul supports a vital, positive community, with engaged and well-informed leaders. Each year, LSP selects 50 emerging and existing leaders from private, public, and nonprofit sectors of the community to participate in the ten-month program.
LSP curriculum is designed to raise awareness of the needs and challenges that affect the Saint Paul/East metro region and enhance individual leadership skills with a focus on community stewardship. The program offers participants exceptional “insider” access by bringing in top-level business, civic, and government leaders to facilitate productive conversations around critical issues that influence our region.
• Monthly Program Days: Day-long sessions, focusing on significant challenges facing the region such as community effectiveness, education, health care, regional economic development, and criminal justice. Each program day strives to enlighten, inspire and transform participants by exposing them to a vast array of perspectives, resources and mentors. Program Days are always the second Thursday of the month.
2013 Program Day Agendas:
January - Orientation
February - Retreat
March - Government
April - Education
May - Criminal Justice
June - Media & Communications
July - Economic Development
August - Health & Human Services
September - Arts & Culture
October - Wrap Up & Graduation
• Retreat: Two-day retreat held in February, which focuses on developing personal and civic leadership skills, including teambuilding and community stewardship.
• Community Projects: Each participant will form a team with 4 to 6 classmates and partner with a nonprofit on a community service project to apply what they are learning and gain experiential knowledge in community stewardship. Recent service projects include: an award-winning Financial Literacy Service Project for Lifetrack Resources (winner of the 2006 Minneapolis/Saint Paul Magazine's Standing Ovation Award), the development of a charter school’s library, creation of a girls’ leadership camp, and beautifying a business strip. Nonprofits interested in sponsoring a Service Projects can find more information here.
Application Process: Anyone in the metro area can apply to Leadership Saint Paul. The application process consists of a written application and face-to-face interview. If you know of a candidate who would be a valued participant, please refer them to the program. Applications for the Class of 2014 will be available in July 2013.
"LSP was one of the most engaging and eye opening groups that I have ever been involved with. Being a long time Eastsider, I learned more about the history and economics of our city than expected. The relationships forged through my class and the interaction with other classes has been outstanding! I am proud to be a member of the “Best Class Ever LSP 2011” and I look forward to helping future classes as they become a part of this exclusive group."
~Mike Schwartz, Principal Financial Group
"Leadership Saint Paul is the premier leadership program in the Twin Cities. More than leadership development, the program beings together 50 like minded individuals that have a vested interest in learning about the intricacies of the East Metro - what it takes to run a city from all angles. You will most definitely learn a ton, but even more valuable are the relationships you make. And upon graduation, you are automatically a member of an elite "club" of alumni that would go out of their way to help you out. I liken my LSP experience to college and always say it was one of the best decisions I've made since graduation!" ~Ingrid Christensen, INGCO International
“I have the chance to work with many of the people from my Leadership Saint Paul class and from other classes in a variety of different venues – from truancy initiatives with Saint Paul schools to STAR grants with members of the Chamber to working on diversity issues in downtown. All of those projects have been facilitated through contacts I’ve had and developed over the years out of Leadership Saint Paul.”
~ John Harrington, Saint Paul Police Chief
“Leadership Saint Paul is one of those important processes helping people to connect, articulate what their community is and allowing folks to dream about where they are going together.”
~ Carlos Mariani, Minnesota State Representative
Staff contact: Please contact Stephanie Austin, Director of Education and Foundation, for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651.265.2786.