Earth Day (April 22) originated in 1970 to help save the environment from air and water pollution, but today the celebration has expanded as a way to increase support for environmental programs and build community activism around the world through a range of events and activities.
Before you roll your eyes at yet another item to add to your to-do list, consider these 5 easy steps to green your office in celebration of Earth Month. Some might even save your company some money:
1) Call Chamber member Tech Dump to learn about a free electronics recycling pickup for those unwanted gadgets and cords piling up in the back storage closet.
2) Use a water bottle or coffee mug-- every cup saved makes a big difference. It’s reported Americans use a whopping 25 billion paper cups each year. That adds up to 363 million pounds of waste and the loss of more than 9 million trees.
3) Order office supplies (like printer paper and pens) made from recycled materials. A lot of office supply companies make it easy by listing these earth-friendlier options online.
4) Turn the lights off when you leave your office for a meeting and at the end of each day.
5) Contact Biz Recycling for quick office recycling consult—they even provide grant funding for recycling bins and labels. By increasing your office recycling, you can switch to a smaller dumpster size or less frequent trash pickup, savings on the garbage service cost. The Chamber has a great partnership with them. Let us know what we can do to help!
We’d love to see what your office is up to during Earth Month—make sure to tag @SPACC on social media with tips and events. Even the small steps can make a big difference for the environment!