The James J. Hill Center located in downtown St. Paul provides free on-site access to market research, industry research, company profiles, and business best practices not easily found on the web.
Here are several examples of requests our business librarians frequently get from entrepreneurs, business owners, employees, and job seekers:
- I’m starting a restaurant in downtown St. Paul and I need to do market research on the area for my business plan.
- I'm starting a food truck and I'd like to know more about the industry and my competitors.
- I'm starting a business and want to find information on potential investors.
- I'm looking for a list of businesses in the solar power industry in Minnesota to potentially purchase my product.
- I work for an accounting firm and we would like to target our services to nonprofits. Do you have a database that provides lists of nonprofits based on location and revenue?
- I'm looking for a list of businesses with 10-100 employees in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
To answer these questions and more, our team of business librarians delivers personalized in-depth reference assistance. They are well informed on where to find information on creating business plans, generating sales leads, generating job leads, competitive analysis, market research, industry research, company research, and funding sources. Our librarians work with each patron to determine the best information resources to meet their business information needs. Once the best resources are identified, the librarians demonstrate how to retrieve the needed information from our databases. Our library services team endeavors to provide the best resources and knowledgeable guidance to use them.
Furthermore, in the entrepreneurial spirit of our namesake James J. Hill, we are committed to redefining the notion of what it means to be a library. The James J. Hill Center commits itself and its resources to being an iconic place to learn, convene and connect – in the community, in business, in the arts, in technology, in innovation, and in celebration. Our vision is to provide current, reliable, and relevant information to support business growth and innovation, while we build sustainable and lasting relationships to create a strong community of entrepreneurs and businesses. We believe providing access to reliable business information and building community connections will contribute to economic prosperity by nurturing the exchange of ideas and the pursuit of solutions.
To find out more about our resources please visit jjhill.org or call us at. 651.265.5500. We are located at 80 West 4th Street, Saint Paul, MN. We are open Monday-Thursday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.